Thriving in Scarcity (1Kings 17:8-12).
THE BIBLE teaches that our God is rich, plentiful, bountiful, and He provides everything in abundance. The sea, air, land, heaven, and all of creation describes to us that there is no scarcity in GOD.
God is big and mighty to save and deliver. The fact that He sits in heaven and makes the earth His footstool demonstrates further to us that we serve an awesome God. God’s word is too powerful to be constrained or restrained; His word fills the earth, travels the entire universe, rules, and has dominion in every sphere! He is present and occupies everywhere: He is both Omnipresent and Omniscient.
Scientists have discovered many things, but they have not found God – even though He is present in all of His creation! Scripture teaches us that He holds everything together by His word.
“…and upholding all things by the word of His power…”. Hebrews 1:3
He holds together H20, O2, and all elements (both known and unknown) including the atoms and molecules of which they are formed. God could be seen in His creation and revealed in matter and yet HE is HIDDEN from them.
The Almighty is beyond our reach; He is exalted in power! In His justice and great righteousness, He does not oppress. Job 37:23 NIV.
The researchers have not discovered His beginning, nor can they know His end. They cannot search out the depth of His riches.
“…Who does great and unsearchable things, wonders without number. – Job 5:9
His wisdom is unmatchable!
“For who can know the LORD’s thoughts? Who knows enough to give him advice?” Roman 11:34 NLT
“Who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high” – Hebrews 1:3.
WHAT IS SCARCITY?
Now the wife of one of the sons of the prophets cried out to Elisha, “Your servant, my husband, is dead, and you know that your servant feared the LORD. And now his creditor is coming to take my two children as his slaves!” “How can I help you?” asked Elisha. “Tell me, what do you have in the house?” She answered, “Your servant has nothing in the house but a jar of oil.’’ 2 Kings 4:1-2.
Scarcity is the impending fear of uncertainty where you start doubting whether what you need will ever be available or not. Scarcity refers to the basic economic problem: the GAP between limited and unlimited resources!
God’s word teaches us that His resources are freely available in abundance and vastly unlimited (Ps 23:1), and that man’s need are numbered i.e. limited.
And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work – 2 Corinthians 9:8.
God’s word also makes us to understand that GOD is bigger than your needs.
“And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.’’ Phi 4:19
TYPES OF SCARCITY
- Scarcity of life-resources which makes living become difficult. 1 Kings 17:8
- Scarcity of spirit and revival. 1 Samuel 3:1
- Scarcity of word & revelation. 1 Samuel 3:1, Amos 8:10
- Scarcity of bread- Due 8:9-14
- Famine Genesis 42:1
- Scarcity of knowledge, understanding, supernatural wisdom, solutions, and ideas. Hosea 4:6-7
- Economic scarcity represented by loss of job/source of income, financial instability, lack of financial support and or economic meltdown. 1 Kings 17:8-12.
- Scarcity of access to God. 2 Chronicles 15:3, 2 Chronicles 15:4 James 4:8
THE DANGERS OR RESULTS OF SCARCITY
- Death – eating of one’s own children. (Consuming one’s future).
- Piling up debts.
- Creditors coming to seize one’s most prized assets – The woman cried “they are here to take my two sons”. 2 Kings 4:1
- It exposes the needy and vulnerable to evil. 2 Kings 4:1
- Fear and confusion sets in – Genesis 41:8.
- Darkness and loss of material possessions and or of a loved one.
A time of famine is a time people seem to be forsaken or neglected and their lack becomes very glaring. It is a time when all that is left is one last breath, a last meal, just one more opportunity and maybe a last chance to live. A time of scarcity is a time when there is no planting, rain nor wind. This means no job, salary or pay cheques. It also means that investments are taking a plunge downwards, but the Lord has promised that our valley shall be filled! 2Kings 3: 27.
Then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “Get away from here and turn eastward, and hide by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. And it will be that you shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there.” 1 Kings 17: 2
Sometimes when God is behind the scarcity, it makes the people of covenant to draw nearer to Him.
- He always provides a brook for His special people.
Scarcity are sometimes blessings in disguise. Below are some examples of people who were blessed in their periods of adversity.
- The widow of Zarephath – This woman was blessed, and she and her family survived the famine.
- Joseph – He experienced translation from the prison to the palace! Beloved, there is a palace in your prison and a blessing in your brokenness!
- The wife of one of the sons of the prophets in 2Kings 4:6-7 – There is abundance in your lack.
- Marriage in Cana – There is a better wine in your bitterness.
- Elijah – He was fed by ravens in a famine. Ravens are birds found in the palace, stealing meals for Elijah but after food finished at the palace and the water dried at the brook, God prepared a widow in Zarephath to sustain Elijah.
- When God is behind scarcity, He uses the situation to teach us His ways and His wisdom.
- When God is behind scarcity, He uses the situation to teach us lessons in POSIBILITIES, MIRCACLES, FAITH & TRUST IN HIM.
- When God is behind scarcity, IT’S NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS!
IT’S NOT WHAT YOU THINK!
For the widow in Zarephath, the little bread left is a scarce commodity, but for Elijah it is a token for provision, a miracle meal! It is a miracle in your home!
For the widow, it was a last meal and she was preparing to die but God said if you trust and look unto Me, you will LIVE!
For the widow it was her last meal, the end has come but GOD said it is a beginning of blessings: the beginning of abundance and she will never lack or experience scarcity again!
For the widow, it was the end of the world, but God says to you that “you will see the end of SCARCITY AND COVID 19. The Egyptians you see today; you will see them no more!”
To Elijah, God has sent him to a bush in a town where his most dreaded enemy lives! That would seem like walking in a dangerous terrain or working in an unsafe environment where you are not even sure you will make it back. BUT to God, His plan is to preserve you from all evil, He meant to prepare a table for YOU!
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.… Psalms 23:4-6
To us, it is a season of “lock down”, but to God it is His plan of divine preservation!
To us, it is a season “no pay-cheque”, to God, it is a plan for divine PROVISION!
To you, this seems to be a season of “I don’t know how and when this would end”; but today AT THE APPOINTED TIME, Jehovah will turn THINGS around! IT WILL ALL END IN PRAISE!
Scarcity reigns supreme in the marketplace (NO JOB, NO ACCOMODATION, NO BUSINESS) …….. BUT God says, “I have provided a place for you, a blessing is reserved for you with your name written on it!”
In the nation many people are gasping for life, our community is in pain and strange things are happening. Our citizens are down with strange sicknesses and poverty, BUT God says “you will not die but live! YOU ARE COMING OUT STRONGER, RICHER AND BETTER”.
HOW TO TERMINATE SCARCITY
- Your servant fears the Lord, the widow said. She understood the mysteries of service. 2 Kings 4:1
- Divine obedience and the leading of the Holy spirit. Elijah was led by the Spirit and He followed God’s divine instruction. Be led of God before you act! Do not just do things without the leading of the Holy Spirit. Be led of Him in buying the right home and do not put yourself into unnecessary debts! You do not have to buy everything you see.
- Giving and sharing with love. The woman gave her last meal.
- Prophetic instructions & steps. Whatever He tells you to do, do it! The woman kept filling up the jars, according to the prophetic instruction, when she stopped pouring, the oil stopped flowing. Jesus told Peter to go the river for a catch and the first fish he caught had a coin in its mouth! Don’t just listen to God speak, take steps based on the prophetic instruction! Act on the word! Whatever He tells you to do, just do it!
- Be planted in the house of God, feeding, and being rooted in His word.
- Believe the word of God– Too many believers have gotten used to scarcity, pain, and the life of average; that they tend not to stretch their faith and take the promises of God’s word as very tangible.
‘’Then Elisha said, “Hear the word of the LORD. Thus says the LORD: ‘Tomorrow about this time a seah of fine flour shall be sold for a shekel, and two seahs of barley for a shekel, at the gate of Samaria.’ ” 2Kings 7:1
- Wisdom of the Holy Spirit. You need wisdom to get out of debt, only God can open your eyes to the way out. Pharaoh saw that the spirit of wisdom and discernment on Joseph was from the Lord.
Jesus will save you from scarcity today and give you abundance of life, peace, joy, answers, and rest!
Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29
Lord Jesus, I thank you for your grace so rich, abundance provisions in my life
I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I hear.
I am going up higher. I am going to keep obeying. I am going to keep sowing.
I am going to keep believing. I am going to keep receiving. I am going to keep on walking by faith.
I am focusing on things that I have; I am productive, innovative, and creative with my life and time in this season.
In a time of famine, I am thriving. I am prospering, I am creative and maximizing my potential.
I am flourishing. I am succeeding. I am advancing. I am growing victoriously.
I am increasing in faith, grace and His blessings.” In Jesus Name. Amen.